[Dixielandjazz] Re: Beethoven jazz tune

dingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Oct 16 07:47:52 PDT 2004

Bill: I recall Les Brown's Bizet has his Day --  a  fugue theme by Bizet
(Sp?).
And I also vaguely remember Jan Savett's earlier band (SwingWing?)
before his becoming a Mickey band, doing a swing arrangement
based on Bach's Fugue in G Minor.
And of course, speaking of Mickey Bands,  Freddie Martin had a lock on
turning classical themes into commercial records.
I think that when I discovered the early Jan Savitt band's work it about
floored me as it has great charts, good players, and swung. But the
Mickey version made him wealthy (as a musician could be) in the 40's on.
Finally, let us not forgot my dad's old boss, Spike Jones, who had dad
singing his barroom baritone on Liebestraum and on the semi-classical
Glow Worm.
Or dad's own Capitol sides of Moe Zart's Turkey Trot (Rondo ala Turk)
and Paganini's Keep 'er going Stomp (Perpetuoso), or his Song of
Indians, Rimsky K's
Song of India. Lots of good material out there though I think yo'd have
your work cut out for you trying to do a trad version of a PhillipGlass
compostion.
Don (so many tunes, so little chops) Ingle