[Dixielandjazz] Re: Speaking of classics

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Fri Oct 15 21:20:31 PDT 2004

Dan
Thanks for the complement but it's not quite the same.  I wish I had the
talent to compose tunes that others would like.  It's a talent that sadly I
never really tried to develop even though I got good grades in college in
composition and theory etc.  My talent was that I could put meaning into a
tune not only with improvisation but with I hope some taste.  Some composers
are nowhere as musicians and some are really good.  I never really tried
arranging because I lacked skill on the piano.  Enter the computer and I've
started arranging.  I can now hear what I've written.  Nothing much but I'm
happy with them.   I have been playing them with my band and they work. So
if it's something you haven't tried go for it.  Like improv - tear yourself
away from the paper.  Yes YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES.  So what get over it.
Music is God's way to tell us we aren't perfect.

So start with the melody and add a few things.  Keep it simple.  Pretend you
are a Piano player and you are accompanying you.  Put in the fill tones that
the piano would usually at the end of phrases instead of the long notes.
All of a sudden you will be playing solos that sound good and as you gain
skill and a little knowledge you will be able to improvise well.  It doesn't
have to be great or the fastest or anything else.  ask yourself.  did I like
it?  did it sound good to me? and then did it feel good.

You know improvisation produces a high that's very akin to a drug.  I go
into an almost trance like state where I don't feel the horn or my fingers
or know what's going on around me.  It's me and the sound and I'm somewhere
else. It's like Alice going through the looking glass.   My body and horn
are here but I'm not.  After a gig the adrenalin is up and I play hell going
to sleep.  I'm up till three or four in the morning sometimes after a gig
and I don't smoke , drink or use drugs.  I don't have to, Music does it.

Taking that step is everything.  Don't let the other guy intimidate you or
make you feel less.  One time I had a solo (lead tenor in an USAF big band}
and Jamey Ambersold was sitting in the front row not ten ft from me and I
played through an improv solo.  To this day I don't remember what I played
but he came up and complemented me and after that I've been able to stand up
in front of anyone and just blow.  He may just have been being nice but
being able to do it was the hurdle.

I used to play guitar and one thing I noted about guitar players was they
were always saying show me that chord or lick.  Horn players should do that
too. but we don't for some reason.