[Dixielandjazz] Payments to copyright holders

Tom Belmessieri tbelmo at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 12 23:27:42 PDT 2004

Will,

I read with interest the information and complaints logged about copyright
ineffectiveness and misuse.  These and your notes are very timely since I
had just started to fill out an application to join ASCAP as a composer.
Some of my songs are in the style of OKOM and are performed by my band, but
I wanted to start getting some royalties when they are played on the air
from our CD.  I must say that I am thinking twice about applying after
reading all this talk.  I know piracy is alive and well although I'm not
sure if OKOM is much of a target.  I will have to weigh the pros and cons of
becoming a member of ASCAP or BMI.  I am sure there are other organizations
too.  Thank you for shedding some light on the pro side.

Tom Belmessieri

---------