[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Sarasota

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Fri Oct 8 12:47:48 PDT 2004

Hello Mac Moysey;

I read your inquiry sent to the Dixieland Jazz Mailing List by Ron Gable
in Dayton, OH.

I too will be in Sarasota from 15 Jan to 15 April 05. My phone there is
(941)-924-5186 and I play OKOM trombone. I will also be there from 2 to 9
Oct but very occupied in furnishing our recently purchased seasonal
abode.

I occasionally sit in with Joe Bruno's group wherever they are playing
(no steady gig). A list of performances for OKOM is below and reproduced
from The Suncoast Dixieland Jazz Society's monthly "Jazz Me News"

Oct 31; Bud Leeds and Friends; Banquet Masters, Pinellas Park; 2-5 PM $15
Nov 4 Bobby Tess and Dixie Chaps; Saffron's Carribbean, Tampa? 6:30-9:30
PM $15
Nov 19-21 14th annual Suncoast Dixieland Jazz Classic; Sheraton Sand Key;
Clearwater Beach all weekend $85
Dec 10, Black Cat Jazz Band; dinner and dance; Banquet Masters, Pinellas
Park; reservations required
Jan 13 Bobby Tess and Dixie Chaps; Clearwater Cinema Cafe; 6:30-9PM
Jan 16 Ed Polcer Magic of Swing Street; Banquet Masters, Pinellas Park
(Annual Meeting)
There is more but you can go to www.jazzclassic.net for the festival in
November and to www.siteterrific.com/SDJS for society news.

In addition, I love to hear Diane Linscott sing with a duo at Islands End
Bistro on Anna Maria Island every Thursday from mid Dec on 7-10 PM. It is
swing and not Dixie but the musicians (piano and bass) and Diane are very
good and do all the 30's through 40's tunes.

Ruby Vinson runs a jazz jam every Sunday, worth going to. It is at the
American Legion on 75th Street in Bradenton. I have sat in there. It is
2-5 PM. The Dixie Spirit Jazz Band is at P.J. Carney's in Venice every
Thursday but call first to find out when they start (941)-480-9244

Best

Rick Knittel - JAZZBONE
37 Ship Channel Road; South Portland, Maine 04106-5136
Phone; (207)-741-2407; fax 2409; Cell: (207)-233-3480;
E-mail; Knittelsportland at juno.com

and 15 Jan to 15 April 05

7657 Bergamo Ave; (Village Walk) Sarasota, FL 34238