[Dixielandjazz] Bass lines behind soloists

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 1 18:29:28 PDT 2004

DJML--
     When i play tuba in dixieland tunes when soloists are soloing,
not only is the bass line i play different from the one i play in
full ensemble, it's different from one instrumental soloist to the
other.  Surely others do the same, but i don't recall anyone talking
about it.
     I mean, in full ensemble, you have more notes in total, more
lines, less space available to fill, so you play (at least on tuba)
more of a 2-beat line (on most tunes; i play 4-beat on some).  But
when accompanying various soloists, i play a different kind of
bass-line when a particular trumpet-player is soloing, from that when
a clarinet or trombone is soloing.  And it entirely depends on what i
know of what kind of figures that particular player plays, and what
he wants me to play as accompaniment.  It changes for each tune, each
set, each venue, whatever.  Basically, you tailor your bass-line to
fit the tune best to not detract from what the soloist is doing, to
blend into the background, but still to do something (one hopes) a
little different each time.  (This applies of course to all the
rhythm players, or should.)  To do that, of course, you have to know
the style of the tune, the band, the soloist, and all the other
variables.
     Is what i'm saying resonating anywhere?  I don't recall anyone on
this list talking about this.  (And i'm sure there are lots of bad
experiences with rhythm or bass players who seem to try to take solos
behind each soloist.)
     There's certainly an art, a self-effacing art, to this, which all
good rhythm-players know, but may not be able to talk about.  Are
there any general principles you guys who have been playing
continuously for 40+ years can tell us?

     Dan