[Dixielandjazz] FINALIE

Dave at Creolejazz.com dave at creolejazz.com
Tue Nov 30 15:12:24 PST 2004

Larry,

No need to purchase another notation program. You already have the best and
most powerful. Assuming you have already entered chords in at least one
part, simply do this to copy chords in other parts:

1. Click on the MASS MOVER tool (looks like a little truck).

2. In scroll view, scroll to the very beginning of the tune and click once
right in front of (to the left of) the staff that has the chords you wish to
copy. That will highlight that entire staff, beginning to end.

3. To be sure you're copying only chords (and not notes, articulations,
etc.) click on the MASSEDIT menu at the top, then click COPY ENTRY ITEMS.

4. The ENTRY ITEMS window opens up. Be sure the ONLY thing in the list
checked is CHORDS.

5. Click OK.

6. Now zoom out (if necessary) so you can see both the staff with the chords
and the staff to which you want to copy the chords. Click on the first
measure of your highlighted staff and drag to the staff without the chords.

Bingo. All the CHORDS (and only the chords) are copied into the new staff.

Now just repeat - click and drag - to all other staves that need chords.

IMPORTANT: Finale will only copy chords to NOTES or RESTS. So if you have,
for instance, a whole note that has a C chord on beat one and a C7 chord on
beat three, it will only show the C chord on beat one. To get around this,
create invisible notes (or rests) in another layer, then type the C7 on beat
three in that layer.

Chords over slash marks are easy....just remember that Finale will only copy
chords to notes (or rests). That means you must enter notes or rests first,
then apply your slash marks.

It just takes practice. While it is the best and most powerful, it also
comes with a learning curve. I highly recommend you visit the Finale Forum
for lots of expert help from lots of experienced users. See it here:

  http://www.finalemusic.com/forum/

Good luck.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."