[Dixielandjazz] West Coast tunes questions

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Nov 28 07:13:07 PST 2004

Hi all. I'm working on some West Coast tune sheets for my new fakebook, and
have some questions.

"Sage hen strut" and "Trombone rag" are played in Db by Lu Watters.
Anderson has "Sage hen" in Eb--is that a "standard" key? I assume it would
be easier for less expert musicians, but if Eb is an exception, I should
use Db.

Is "Trombone rag" regularly played in another key?

"Creole belles" (in Eb-Ab), first chord of the melody: I hear it as Ab in
all the recordings I have, but Bob Neighbor's "Vintage Jazz Standards" has
Eb. Anderson has the tune in F-Bb, and uses Bb as the first chord.

Would I be correct in considering Lu Watters' Good Time Jazz recordings to
be "authoritative" for my purposes? (I have the 4-CD set.) I note some
differences in melody notes between Watters and the Anderson and Neighbors
sheets.

I have "Down home rag", "Creole belles", "Trombone rag", "Big bear stomp",
"Sage hen strut". Any other Watters-Murphy tunes that would be considered
absolutely essential for newbies to learn as an introduction to the West
Coast repertoire?

Thanks.
--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Chord Books, Bands)
eMail: dwlit at cpcug.org