[Dixielandjazz] Help!

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sun Nov 21 09:43:31 PST 2004

At 04:44 PM 11/21/2004 +0000, rahberry at comcast.net wrote:
>I'm considering sending her King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band and some Bix.
>I'd love to hear any suggestions you all may have.  My dau is a professor.
>She'll be a serious student.  She played oboe in junior and senior high
school.
>Any ideas?
>Rae Ann

King Oliver 1923--Naxos collection
Bix--several Naxos collections; or 4-CD JSP Box of the Bix & Tram sides
Jelly Roll Morton--AVID 2 CD set (broad selection) or 4-CD JSP Red Hot Peppers
If she only has 1 vol. of Armstrong, get her the 4-CD JSP set.
Muggsy Spanier--the AVID 2 CD has lotsa good stuff on it; at the least you
should get her a 1939 Ragtimers collection.
Jasmine's 4-CD "Golden Age of Jazz" is a terrific compilation from a wide
variety of sources; it's not a systematic "introduction", but a bunch of
2-4 track selections from ca. 26 good session dates. If you get my whole
list, there's probably no more than ca. a dozen dups in this set.

These are all well transferred; the JSPs are by the late JRTDavies.
They're all available from Jerry Brown, and are cheap per CD.

--Sheik