[Dixielandjazz] Teddy Buckner

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Thu Nov 18 14:38:19 PST 2004

I am a little late on this one but I just got home from some time off
and I can't resist writing when Teddy Buckner's name comes up.

It would seem that he isn't very widely known or appreciated but my
interest in him began in the late l950's when I heard his version of
Chinatown My Chinatown on a local Vancouver BC radio program. The DJ,
Jack Cullen, also had a record shop and he brought the record, a 12
inch, red, slightly opaque LP, in from Seattle for me. I played that LP
until it didn't have any sound left in it.

I also saw and heard him at Disneyland several times over the following
years but always had kids with me and was never allowed to sit and enjoy.

I presently have 2 of his CD's. The first a tribute to Louis Armstrong
which has some of the tunes from the afore mentioned LP and the second
recorded with Sidney Bechet in France in l958.

If any one knows of other CD's by Teddy, specially the l955 Dixieland
Jubilee LP, I would be interested. Along with Chinatown My Chinatown it
had, IMO, maybe the best version of Chimes Blues I have heard.

If I remember correctly my first LP purchase was Dixie By Dorsey, my
second Satch Plays Fats and my third Teddy Buckner's Dixieland Jubilee
LP. He is still one of my favorites.

My attention is instantly engaged when I see his name pop up.

Len Nielsen