[Dixielandjazz] Art Hodes Centenary

dingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Nov 16 15:27:57 PST 2004

john petters wrote:

>Arnold said
>

>>I later sent them articles and many CDs of Hodes and there is now a
>>

>>section >of the museum dedicated to him. I never met him in person.
>>

>Well done Arnold. It is fitting that they should mark his achievement in
>this way. He was a wonderful human being as well as the finest white blues
>pianist. Kenny Davern called him a national treasure.
>

>John Petters
>
>Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
>
>www.traditional-jazz.com

When I worked as house band trunpet at Chicago's Jazz Ltd in the 60's,
Art had the off night Thursday band with JimmyGranato on clarinet,
Whitey Myrick on trumpet, Dan Williams on Trombone,  ? Murphy (blank on
first name) on bass, and Jerry Coleman drums. Art played a lot of Jelly
Roll, Jimmy Yancy, and standards, but his variations on blues were
wondrous works of origination, though at times approaching avant garde.
But his Grandpa's Spells and Chicago Breakdown were never played better
by anyone then and since.
I worked some casuals with him as well. Always a treat to hear him and a
special delight to work with him. I am  glad that he got his dues in his
hoime place, thanks to Arnold.
Don Ingle