[Dixielandjazz] Teddy Buckner

JazzDiggr at aol.com JazzDiggr at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 16:35:13 PST 2004

Hey Bob Romans
I'm primarily a lurker on DJML but couldn't resist putting in my $ .02 worth
on this particular thread. The restaurant in West Covina was probably the
Huddle if I remember correctly. Well, anyway, to make a long story longer, Teddy
was a very good friend of my dad's so we would always go see him whenever my
family vacationed in California. That's how I got started loving Dixieland jazz.
Then I kinda grew up (loose definition)......... and had a son to whom I
started teaching trumpet.
After a while we got some neighbor kids together in my livingroom and put
together a dixieland/swing/dance band. Called it Rise & Shine. They eventually
got invited to play the Sacto Jazz Jubilee (5 times) and many, many other
festivals too. Well, I took my wife and kids on a  Disneyland vacation one summer
and we stopped by Teddy's house for visit. This was in the mid 1990s. Teddy had
been retired from horn playing for several years and was in very poor
health....bed-ridden actually. He asked my son, Mike, to get into his closet and dig
out his old horn and play something for him. There were 2 cornets in the
closet.....an old silver Benge that was pretty banged up, and a Selmer K-modified.
Mike played a bit for us on the selmer and Teddy laughed and really enjoyed it.
Then he told Mike to take the selmer home and keep it. And to always remember
that when he plays it Teddy will be "up there watching you". Then we all had
a little cry together.
Mike is a trumpet major at the U of Washington and I have the Selmer cornet
at my house and I dig it out and play it now and then......but it somehow
doesn't sound quite as good as when Teddy used to play it!!!

Jeff Dorr
jazz diggin' lurker from Seattle