[Dixielandjazz] To spell or not to spell

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Sun Nov 14 11:57:36 PST 2004

Steve Barbone wrote:
>>I have the same trouble with Pee Wee Irwin/Erwin, Bob Wilbur/Wilber, Wilber/Wilbur DeParis as well as a whole bunch of other folks including my former neighbor and mentor Hank D'Amico/d'Amico.>>

Not to mention Jimmie/Jimmy Noone, Dickie/Dicky Wells, Billie/Billy Holiday, and Dizzie/Dizzy Gillespie that I always have to look up, and Bix Beiderbecke ... well!, and what about people who change their names - George Brunis/Brunies

Steve also wrote:
>>Never did fully conquer my spelling deficiencies and I'm too old to worry about it now.
Too much improvising and not enough attention to the written notes. Either way, though you're only a half step away from the right one.<<

He could have written:
"Nveer did fluly cnoquer my spleling deficinecies and I'm
too old to wrory abuot it now.

Too mcuh imporvising and not enoguh attnetion to the wrtiten ntoes. Eihter
way, thoguh yo'rue olny a hlaf setp away form the rihgt one."
and allegedly, according to experts at Cambridge University, as long as the first and last letters are in place, it doesn't matter how one misplaces the remaining letters, readers have virtually no difficulty in reading the words.

Itts orl verry komplikkaytid,
and "ghoti" is an alternative spelling for "fish".

Cheers

Bob Smith