[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Goes To College . . . Again

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 14:22:14 PST 2004

Many of us think that Dixieland is not for College Kids these days.

Certainly not like it was in the 40s and 50s when the gray beards on the
DJML regularly toured the College Circuit with Dixieland Bands. No doubt,
many my age or older fondly remember those gigs. (Stories anyone? :-) VBG)

Well, there is still hope. We still do several college gigs a year. But this
one takes the cake.

For the 5th year in a row, Barbone Street has been booked by the prestigious
Castle Fraternity at The University of Pennsylvania to provide New Orleans
Jazz (Dixieland) at their Fall "exams are over" Party. And yes, they dance
to everything we play. And they yell and scream for us. The only negative?
is that they like it LOUD and so we crank up to full volume.

It is an annual event for the Fraternity Brothers and their dates and some
close friends at the University. Formal, Tux & Gowns with 400 or so of the
best and brightest graduate and undergraduate students at this "Ivy League"
University. They love us and we love them. We are addressed as "Sir",
revered for our music, treated like national treasures and they carry our
equipment from the parking area to the set up area.

They rent the 23rd Street "First Troop" Armory in Philadelphia for the
event. First Troop has a long history and still supplies horse cavalry for
national events and ceremonies.

The party, Saturday November 20, starts at 10 PM and ends at 2 AM. Yep, as
Yogi Berra would say, "It's Deja Vu all over again."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone