[Dixielandjazz] Jack Palmer

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 15:06:18 PST 2004

Dave Gravatt wrote:

>>Greetings, all. It seems the great-niece of Jack Palmer who co-wrote "I
>>Found a New Baby" and "Everybody Loves My Baby" with Spencer Williams in
>>1924 lives here and has been coming in to hear our group during our
>>regular gig every Monday night. I've done a little research but wondered
>>if anyone knew some details about Jack Palmer. I'd love to find a photo of
>>him, for instance. Also, what was his race? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

It seems there were two Jack Palmers:

One was a trumpet player (b. 1913, d. 2000) who worked with Harry James, Red
Norvo and several other bands, real name Giovanni Palmieri (wonder if he was
related to Eddie?  or Remo?).  Information and a picture at this website:
http://www.tomsmithbigband.com/id11.html

The other was the songwriter (b. 1900, d. 1976) who was also a singer.  He
worked with Cab Calloway, also with Harry James and a number of others.  In
addition to "Everybody Loves My Baby" and "I've Found a New Baby" the
All-Music Guide credits him with compositions like "The Jumpin' Jive," "Are
You All Reet," "Bimbo" (aka "I'm Gonna Take My Bimbo Back to the Bamboo
Isle" -- a GREAT song), "Boog It," "Boodle Am Shake," "Hi Ho Trailus Boot
Whip" and many more.  URL:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=B4c881vk8zzma

Ed Danielson