[Dixielandjazz] Connecting With The Audience

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 8 07:09:14 PST 2004

Performers "Big & Rich" are one up on Barbone Street. We throw bikini
panties to audiences imprinted with "Love Those Italians". Usually during
the song "I want a Little Girl." They sell theirs. Below excerpt from a
Performance Review in today's NY Times.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

EXCERPT: "Big & Rich are gospel singers, in the broadest sense of the term,
and they are obsessed with Christian themes of love and redemption. You
could hear it in the power ballad "Holy Water," And you could hear it in
their puzzling but appealing interest in race, announced by the backdrop (it
said, "Big & Rich: Without Prejudice") and put into practice by the arrival
of Cowboy Troy, an oversize (and underwhelming) black rapper who
single-handedly integrated the stage - and the whole crowd."

"The duo's playful, digressive performance hit its stride in time for "Save
a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)," a strutting boys'-night-out song driven by a
snarling hard-rock riff and some muscular violin; the song is so popular
that the duo sells women's underwear imprinted with the title. (The Bible
doesn't say anything about not hawking your own line of panties, does it?)
The night was building to an energetic finale." END EXCERPT.