[Dixielandjazz] 'Shine' the slang meaning

tubaman at batnet.com tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Nov 2 14:16:22 PST 2004

> For those who are still unsure about "Shine" and "Pipe The Shine".
>
> "Shine" is/was a derogatory term for "Nigger" which is/was a derogatory
> term
> for Black people.
>
> It was still in use in the 1940s, 50s and 60s in parts of, if not all of
> the
> USA. Probably still is in use today.
>
> "Pipe the shine" meant to beat the "shine" with a lead pipe, or blackjack
> which had their own slang terms as being a "nigger knocker".

Unfortunately, I guess I stand corrected - several confirming links from
this direction that did not show up when I searched "Pipe the Shine" - but
I now see this connection...

http://www.ferris.edu/news/jimcrow/caricature/
http://sherlock.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/CSMPSearch2.tcl?CSMP@docid+1424

and many others that were much nastier and hateful. Certainly part of our
jazz history that most OKOM fans hesitate to acknowledge!

Dave Richoux