[Dixielandjazz] Re: Shine & That's Why They Call Me Shine

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 2 02:52:40 PST 2004

<<In 1927 or so the lyrics were changed to "Shine your shoesies, shine away
your bluesies" or some other nonsense. Perhaps to make it less threatening?

The verse, along with some historical perspective, makes it pretty clear
that the tune was a protest against a beating that one Samuel Johnson Brown
(the Shine in the lyric) was given by a gang of Whites around 1900 >>

Hi Steve,
jjust got to your post after posting my own comments to a previous message.
Do have the `original` words which point to the beating episode?
I have  never heard any variation on the now generally accepted ones.
`Bluesies` and `shoesies` may be a rubbish ryhme but it fits in pretty well
with the generally upbeat feeling of the number. What were the `threatening
` words which they replaced.

Cheers

Pat