[Dixielandjazz] Shine

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 2 02:37:58 PST 2004

"Jazz has been the music of social protest, ever since "That's Why They Call
  Me Shine" was written circa 1910.">>

Hi Arnold,
just as a matter of interest is there any evidence that `Shine` was a `song
of social protest`?

There were plenty of songs written early in the century which we now would
consider `offensive`. "My little Octoroon` springs to mind or later, in the
WW2 period `Chocolate soldier from the USA` was popular. Were either of
these written with the intention of degrading, or being condescending to
`coloureds` or whatever the acceptable phrase is at the moment. Were they
written as `protest` songs? By whom? Were there objections raised at the
time?. By whom? With what effect?
Songs like `Strange Fruit` were obviously written with a particular object
in mind but `Shine`? You are joshin` me!. Its a straightforward song
celebrating the natural ebullience and good humour of an individual who is
overflowing with bonhomie.

Cheers

Pat