[Dixielandjazz] Nob Hill Gang

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 1 15:10:23 PST 2004

Dear friends,
A mate has acquired an LP about which I have been unable to uncover any
information.
Not listed anywhere.
The Notorious Nob Hill Gang.
An unnumbered Nob Hill Gang Records LP (probably 1970s) featuring jazz tunes
including an interesting tune variation (incorporating "One O'clock Jump"
and 2 others) on "Royal Garden Blues" plus "Muskrat Ramble/Closer Walk/San
Francisco Blues/Sweet Substitute/Doin' The Racoon/etc".
Personnel includes John Markham, ldr/d [ex Barnett, Goodman, Billy May,
Norvo]; Jerry Butzen, tb [Red Nichols, Wally Rose]+ Oz's Judith Durham;
Jimmy Diamond, p [Barnett, own band, Ory, Muggsy]; Buddy Powers, t; Ernie
Figuero, t; George Butterfield, sb [Bales, Barnett, Spanier, Kenton]; Vince
Cattolica, cl; [Bales, Hines, Marsala, Sullivan] .
[Information taken from my 1995 edition of 'Jazz West' by KO Eckland.]
What was 'The Nob Hill Gang' (presumably named after the swish San Francisco
neighbourhood)?
A one-off-LP studio group?
A regular working band?
Where (if at all) did it fit into the traditional, home-grown OKOM scene?
Very kind regards,
Bill.