[Dixielandjazz] Re: GREAT 50'S REVIVAL PERIOD

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sat May 29 10:46:22 PDT 2004

So many of you listmates out there probably have something to add to what I
am just now discovering about the 1950's. There was a great revival in
traditional jazz forms and many bands and even styles were formed at this time. The Lu
Waters / Bob Scoby / Turk Murphy west coast thing, the Fire House Five Plus
Two, Dukes of Dixieland, the many New York bands of the era and many other
lesser known bands all happened at this point. Yet another, related phenomenon was
the old time, honky tonk piano style that, according to Dick Hyman, was
supposed to sound like the old west bar room piano, but actually played
out-of-copyright pop songs from a few decades earlier. The latter style had many big
record names such as Joe Fingers Carr, Crazy Otto, Knuckles O'Toole, etc. Further
behind the scenes was the early Ragtime revival led by Rudy Blesh's landmark
book, They All Played Ragtime, and promoted by Max Morath in his one many show
in New York. I grew up in this era yet was not aware of how special it was for
OKOM. What now amazes me is that no one seems to talk about it as a great
revival period. Why? Anyone out there care to add his or her thoughts or
explanations as to how it all happened and why it's never been identified as a big
revival? I'd love to hear.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink