[Dixielandjazz] Sexy "babe" musicians

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri May 28 13:35:50 PDT 2004

Andy Ling said: "Whereas I doubt many encounter men who have achieved
through looks."

In the realm of pop music, haven't there been men who made it on looks?
Frankie Avalon and other early rock & rollers in the 50s come to mind, and
there's Englebert Humperdink and Bobby Goldsboro. It's been reported that
Eddie Fisher had problems with meter. These guys could carry a tune of
course but few would claim that they were star quality on musical grounds
alone. Some of the lesser crooners of the swing era also went farther than
their talents alone might have taken them. Men might not think they were
good looking but the women did, or thought that they had charisma, and that
carried them to places that many a larger talent didn't go.

Charlie Suhor

Bonnie Otto said :-

> Now as far as the females who mask there lack of knowledge with their
> looks or use their "feminine wiles" to gain what ever it is they want,
> they get found out sooner or later.

In no way condoning sexism but...

I wonder if this is part of the problem? Experience of a "Babe" having
achieved something through looks rather than knowledge may make one
wary the next time round. Whereas I doubt many encounter men who
have achieved through looks.

Andy "Wishing there were more babes in OKOM ;-)" Ling