[Dixielandjazz] Sexy "babe" musicians

Bonnie Otto bonnie at hopdog.com
Thu May 27 15:38:49 PDT 2004

O.K. You guys knew this subject would bring me out of lurk mode. Being
the "other girl" (yes, there was another girl in the band) in the
Wooden Nickel group I suppose I should speak out on the this subject.

For me the credibility as a good musician is one of the most important
aspects of the business. I love what I do and I try to improve myself
every time I sit down in front of a piece of manuscript or a piano.
When I was first flung into this idiom of music, it was hard to
establish myself because I didn't know what I was doing so I empowered
myself with knowledge. I researched, read, listened, asked, played, and
watched the great ones do there thing. Though I, as of yet, have not
gone back to finish my music degree, the "learning on the road method"
has been much more satisfying than the "I are a graduate" route. I have
grown to love OKOM. I have also found that whining about the injustices
of being female and being over looked or having the assumption made
that my depth as a player goes as far as my boobs is not acceptable. I
use it to my advantage. Case and point:

About 15 yrs ago when I first got into the festival circuit, I was
playing in a band lead by a well known trumpet player. We were working
at a now defunct festival here on the left coast. I was asked to sit in
with the "All Stars" which I gracefully accepted. My playing knowledge
was coming along and I felt that I could hold my own. Before playing
commenced, the clarinetist of the group felt obliged to tell me all
about the usages of dominant 7th chords. This was intermingled with
"honey's" and "sweeties" and other "useful" tidbits of jazz theory. I
don't think we ever made eye contact. Needless to say, I was annoyed by
his pretension. As I was standing there getting madder and madder, I
had an epiphany -  prove yourself. Take the "mad" and make it music. I
did. I blew him away. I haven't looked back since.

I earned a lot of respect that festival, mostly for myself. I like to
think that I have become "one of the guys". ( it helps to be able to
out belch and out drink most of the guys on this mailing list) Face it
boys, you're a bunch of horny old musicians and being a female in that
world is a kick in the pants. (not literally) The big boobs are just
icing on the cake. (^:

Now as far as the females who mask there lack of knowledge with their
looks or use their "feminine wiles" to gain what ever it is they want,
they get found out sooner or later. That scenario is as old as the
bible. You know they're out there in all walks of life though it seems
the music business is a big magnet for those lovelies. Besides, gravity
will eventually take over and unless you marry an rich old man with a
bad heart, there's nothing any of us can do. O.K....... there is the
Wonderbra........

I digress. Knowledge is power. Passion and respect for the music and it
purveyors shines through when you're true to yourself. Male of female.
Attractive or not. I try to look past the mask and see the heart
inside. After all, isn't that what we do when we play? Bare our souls?
That makes all of us kind of naked!!

I skimmed the article that Mr. Barbone posted. ( thank you)  I feel
that some people think too much and that article proves it. We need to
support our local governments so they can offer us more community
sponsored classes like basket weaving or lapidary so we can have
hobbies and stop thinking so much. I studied classically for years.
There are people in that idiom that are as much fun as having a tequila
hangover. Why do you think I play OKOM? I love my classics and still
play them but jazz breaks the rules. I like breaking rules.

This is my post for the year. Oh look at the time!! I'm late for my
bead weaving class!!
--
Bonnie Otto, arranger, pianist and gracefully aging "babe"
http://www.sisterswing.com