[Dixielandjazz] Death of John R.T. Davies

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue May 25 17:15:41 PDT 2004

Sad news about the death of John R.T.   I understand, from a friend, that he
died at 8.00 a.m this morning, after celebrating his 50th wedding
anniversary just 10 days ago. He had bone cancer.  He was 77.

A great shame he had to go - he leaves a huge legacy for jazz fans, both for
his jazz and his skilful recording transfers, etc.  He played a major role
in the post-war developing British jazz scene too.  His first major band was
Mick Mulligan's Magnolia Jass Band,  in 1948, when he played banjo.  In 1949
he was a founder member and trombonist of the famous Crane River Jazz Band
with the budding guru Ken Colyer on trumpet. This band was highly
influential and figured strongly in the British traditional jazz revival. He
also played with the bands of Cy Laurie, Sandy Brown, Acker Bilk, etc before
joining the Temperance Seven in 1959.    He was a firm believer in "nothing
but the best" and attracted excellence with everything to which he turned
his skilful hand.  He was, also, a classic example of that unique breed of
eccentric and intellectual English gentlemen about which the rest of the
world loves to read!

My personal contacts go back a long way with John R.T.   I remember him
sitting in with our band (The Dolphin Jazz Band) in England in the 1950's.
He was playing trombone next to me on one occasion (At the Railwaymen's
Hall, St Leonards On Sea).  I told him, speaking as an aspiring trombonist,
that I often had trouble hitting the top Bb on my horn, after my lip had
tired.  He said not to bother with that note - it is not within the normal
required range of the instrument in a jazz ensemble!  I did not quarrel with
him, though I well knew at the time that "Big Jim" hit high "Bb's"
consistently and also the odd high "C".   However I will always remember his
words on that subject!
On other occasions at the Market Hall, George St. Hastings, he sat in with
us on alto sax, on which he was superb. Anytime his band was playing in the
area the Temps would drop in.  When the "Temperance Seven" was in its
hey-day (John RT was a founder member) in 1961, I took advantage of my
friendship with John and booked the band for the Hastings Traditional Jazz
Club.  The fee was forty "quid". On the same day as the concert, their
record of "You're Driving Me Crazy" came to the top of the hit paradeon the
TV show "Top of the Pops"   The club attendance was over 550 and we had to
turn folk away!  I think I paid the local Dolphins, who shared the bill,
more than the Temps received!

Met him again a few times in recent years during his visits to Canada but he
had difficulty remembering me from the old days.  Within the past seven
years or so here in Canada, I had the pleasure of doing a concert with him;
also a radio broadcast and had him as a guest at our "C'est what?" jazz club
in Toronto.    A truly remarkable man.  "Rest In Peace "  John!

Brian Towers,
Hot Five Jazzmakers,
Toronto