[Dixielandjazz] last of the romantics

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon May 24 00:48:31 PDT 2004

Hoping not to bore you by going on & on with this wedding thing, but during
our 15 minute televised special on nacional tv last nite, each one in the
band had a few words to say.  I was asked what I thought about Royal
weddings, etc.  I answered by saying that with reality as it is today, it's
very nice to have a bit of fantasy in the news, and that little girls
watching the wedding will dream of their very own Prince asking for their
hand one day....that maybe he won't be of royalty, but he will be HER
Prince.
I know it's corny, but I meant it.

By the way, our present King is loved by everyone in general. If you haven't
read anything about how he became King, and what he has done for democracy
in Spain, you should.  I've lived here for 38 yrs now and have experienced a
complete transition from a dictatorship to democracy.  An amazing
experience.  Nevertheless, the Spanish being the way they are, music has
always been a way of expressing oneself relatively freely.

Yesterday, while on the bandstand with the police 3 deep on each side of the
street, I remembered how "relative" that was, as I had to write the words of
The Saints Go Marching In for the police before we gave a concert in the
Madrid University in the late '60's.  You had to give a written text of
everything that would be said or sung on stage to the police before the
concert!

Jim