[Dixielandjazz] Re: Coquette

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 23 11:50:27 PDT 2004

Dear Dick,
There are two tunes called "Coquette".
Both composed in 1928.
The one we all know and love was authored by Carmen Lombardo, Johnny Green
(comp); Gus Kahn, (lyr).
This is the tune which always reminds me of Lil Armstrong's "Flatfoot" (New
Orleans Wanderers, July  1926). Mmmmmmmm!
I also have an English reference which gives (Heyman-Lombardo-Kahn) for
"Coquette".
Edward Heyman was the lyricist (along with Robert Sauer and Frank Eyton) for
Johnny Green's big 1930 hit "Body and Soul".
But I think Johnny Green may have a better claim as co-composer of
"Coquette", for he was an arranger with the Guy Lombardo orch at the time it
became a hit. Anyway, most references give him co-credit.
The other "Coquette" was written by Irving Berlin.
Berlin's, apparently forgettable, "Coquette" (a waltz) was composed for the
film version of the George Abbott-Ann Preston Bridges play (a hit for Helen
Hayes) of the same name. The film version of 'Coquette', Mary Pickford's
first 'talkie' for which she won an Oscar, was a box-office flop.
The reason for the confusion on records, particularly LPs and CDs is
probably because many so-called 'record producers' are careless, rely on
memory or do not do adequate research.
A bit of trivia: Johnny Green and Irving Berlin eventually worked together.
On the 1948 film musical 'Easter Parade". Green was musical director for the
film and transcriber for the musical illiterate Berlin. He tried but was not
allowed to contribute to Berlin's compositions or lyrics for the film.
As usual, more than you probably needed.
Very kind regards,
Bill.