[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet/Saxophone doubling

Aad Overeem aad.overeem at wanadoo.nl
Wed May 19 14:37:13 PDT 2004

Mark,

When played in a musical way, using your 'ears'. Soprano sax will be never
'too much' IMNSHO!
Listen to Bob Wilber, Kenny Davern (before he decided to play clarinet
exclusively) etc.

Here in Holland we have great Soprano players like Robert Veen, Antoine
Trommelen, etc.
It never tires me to listen to them.
It's also important what kind of 'sound' the Sopranosaxplayer is striving
for.
Being a reedplayer (all saxes and clarinets) myself , I go for a full, warm
'subtone' kind of sound.
When played that way it differs enough from the Cornet (Kornet) or Trumpet
sound, so it don't get in the way.
I personally don't like the nasal 'Oboelike' piercing sound that some
players use.

But I also love to play the, more difficult to master, Clarinet! Personally
in our band I try to find a balance between using Soprano or Clarinet, (or
other Saxes or even Alto- or Bass-Clarinet).

My advice, Talk it over with your reedplayer!

All the best,

Aad Overeem
Huizen, the Netherlands

Reedinstrumentsplayer for the Hammerfield Stompers
http://www.hammerfieldstompers.nl