[Dixielandjazz] Bunny Berigan Jazz Fest

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Wed May 19 01:57:01 PDT 2004

Mike Woitowicz of the Banjo Barons was kind enough to write a favorable
critique of the band in which I was a member at the Fest called the
Vagabond Reeds, and suggested that I might comment on it.

First of all, the Fest is a labor of love by Ken Hansen and his wife,
Joyce Berigan Hansen, Bunny's daughter.  It's been held for many years,
and they always lose money, but sacrifice time, effort and love because
Joyce wants Bunny's memory to stay alive.  Fox Lake is not exactly Urban
America, but it is Bunny's brithplace, the home of his youth, and he's
buried there.

There were a myriad of bands there this year, highligted by the
appearance of Bob Schulz, he of West Coast Jazz fame, who is just one
helluva player, vocalist and all around nice guy.  He appeared as guest
artist with the Rev. Al Townsend's Berigan Memoral Band, and sat in for
several numbers with The Vagabond Reeds in each of our sets.  Bob hails
from this part of Wisconsin and is loved and respected by all around
here.

Also appearing were The Avenue Sizzlers from Madison, The Monday Morning
Dixie Band fom Beloit (Wis), and Jack Farina's big band, also from
Beloit, for dancing and listening enjoyment.

Mike wrote about the Vagabond Reeds, founded by Milwaukee's Dave
MacGregor, a triple threat guy on soparano, clarinet and bass clarinet.
l share the reed duties on clarinet.  We had Grant Krueger on piano, who
served as Music Director for many years at Milwaukee TV's WTMJ, back in
the golden days when TV Stations had staff musicians.  Grant is one fine
pianist who knows what it's all about.  On rhythm guitar and banjo was
Jack Meilhan
who is just excellent, and works frequently in Chicago with the likes of
Kim Cusack, Mike Walbridge, the Red Rose Ragtime Band and others.  On
bass was Guy Fiorenza of Rockford, Ill., a no-nonsense guy who plays
straight ahead walking bass, and does it well.  On drums was Jack Carr
of Milwaukee, co-leader of the Ron Devilliers-Jack Carr Big Band.  Jack
knows how to swing, and that he did.

Well, this is more than anyone ever needed to know, but--what the
heck--when you get an opening, take it.
And, if I do say so myself, the band
DID swing like mad.  I was very glad to be a part of it.

Regards, Harold Smith