[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Loy's Birthday Party

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Tue May 18 16:20:46 PDT 2004

Hi Listmates...sorry to get this critique of second annual celebration of Tommy Loy's birthday celebration so late, but I'm president of the Procrastinator's Club!!

It was another great day in my life! I flew into Dallas/Ft. Worth airport, then drove to Plano, Texas, for the 2nd birthday party for that great "Texican Cornetisist", Tommy Loy, at the Bavarian Bar and Grill, where Tommy Loy's band played every Tuesday night for years! Tommy sadly left us two years ago this coming October.
 As they say, the place was packed and jumpin'! His three lovely daughters, Lindi, Llewellen, and Laura, put on a great party for him, with posters on the walls of the Bavarian German Restaurant. His widow, Shirley was there, and so was his first wife, Carolyn...both beautiful ladies!
The band was excellent! For the first hour, it was broadcast live on the radio (listen to it at http://www.khyi.com/  6 pm Central time this Sunday.) Jon Stutler leads the band now, and plays absolutely GREAT clarinet & soprano sax...AND vocals! Banjoist Scott Whitfield is as good as they come!! The other players were; John Anderson-trumpet, (played with Kenton for years), Jim Lawrence-trombone, Alex Camp-string bass, and Randy Eaton-drums. (And they were all VERY good!)

After the radio broadcast, they opened it up for musicians who had played with Tommy through the years. They let me sit in on a couple of tunes playing the gorgeous gold-plated Pujé that Tommy gave me...fortunately for me, he left some wonderful notes in the horn...Also sitting in on tuba, was Dan Augustine, who does things you can't DO on tuba! Doctorate from N. Texas U...enough said! Also Tom Mott-trombone who was unspeakably good, Danny Hollis-trombone and piano, another great one, Jack Allday-drums, and Tom Hardison-string bass...a great group of jazz musicians!
Jazz is alive and very well in Texas!!!
Missing was Rebecca and Jim Thompson...staunch supporters of Tommy and his band...and all OKOM bands! They were, I believe, in Houston at a recording session with the Jim Cullum Jazz Band.
It was nice seeing Mike Majers again, and members of the TPIN, Fred Allen, John Gunter, Richard Bullock, and Bob Penick!

Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Home 209-339-4676
Cell 209-747-1148