[Dixielandjazz] wedding

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Fri May 14 12:19:11 PDT 2004

Thanks for all the comments on our being selected for a performance in
connection with the Royal Wedding here.  Many expressed well wishes
referring to safety, which reflects the times we live in and the awareness
we all have of such matters now.  Yes, security is being taken very
seriously.

I stuck in one bit in my message hoping to raise an eyebrow, but no one
seemed to catch it.  Why did I make the catty remark about Letizia being a
commoner?  I could care one way or the other what color her blood is,
however I believe it is an undercover look at the way Spain is
"arriving"....that is, leaving the past behind it somewhat and adapting to
the ways of the modern world.  Not only is she not of royal line, but she is
divorced (albeit, the previous wedding was civil....not in the Church!).
That couldn't have happened a few years ago.

Some more traditional people feel that it is "lowering the standard", etc.,
but I think it reflects the modern society that is now Spain.  I've lived &
worked here for 38 yrs and have seen many, many changes, from dictatorship
to the democracy we now have.

Royalty marrying commoners, divorcees marrying, jazz being played in the
streets...........

What are we coming to?  A modern country, that's what!

Jim