[Dixielandjazz] Drinks at PIsmo

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed May 12 01:54:01 PDT 2004

In a message dated 5/11/04 9:35:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com writes:

> Re that new CA law about musicians having to pay for onstage drinks:  I
> think the Basin Street Regulars charge about 5 cents per libation in that
> situation, so that would run up to a total of 30 cents per set for the Six.
> I'd guess Myron might pick up that tab, but if he doesn't, big spender that
> I am, you can tell them to put it on my tab!
>
> Sure do miss you guys-- and Myron.
>
> Bil

Hi Bill:

I think it is indeed a bold and more than generous  gesture, and I realize
that moswt Jazz Societies are Non Profit organizations, but at  $ .5 per
libation it ensures there will be no profit, since having sold and served a many a
libation in my day I know that it costs between $.37 and $.45 to pour a beer,
and a cocktail is going to cost about the same unless of course the bartender
overpours drastically like many of them who do not have to pay for the booze
tend to do just to get bigger tips.

Now the price of beers does tend to keep going up because of the costs of the
main natural ingredient, ( water) but when companies like Budwieser and
Miller keep spending  400,000 million to 600,000 million dollars a year on
advertising alone, it tends to make one wonder what the real costs of making beer is.
 Me thinks maybe something in the realm of $.02 a 12 oz can might be close
but they still sell it at wholesale for about .37 cents a cup of 12 oz. size
and that includes the cost of the plastic cup and the delivery of the beer to
the sight.   At about .50 a can at retail they are also making money on the
aluminum can, which they charge a  redemption fee for and most folks throw away
anyway.  But that does provide a substantial amount of income for homeless
folks who collect them at big events and recycle them.   Bottom Line drink more
beer in Aluminum cans and help the  homeless and the economy.

The moral of the story is simple:  sell more beer and make everybody pay for
it and you will have a financially successfull festival forever, provided you
can get a better deal fromt he porta pottie folks who figured it out a long
time ago and charge more money to recycel that beer than it costs to buy and
consume it in the first place.

Cheers,

Suds Wiggins