[Dixielandjazz] Taping

Norrie Thomson jnt at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 11 19:48:15 PDT 2004

I have a collection of somewhere in the region of 2000 commercially produced
CDs and about half that number of CDs that  have made from private
recordings.

I never record a band without first getting permission from the leader and
have only been refused on 2 occasions - once by a Russian band and once by a
Dutch band. (The Russian band did me a favour, in fact, as I would have
deleted the recording.)  I always offer to provide the band with copies of
the CDs that I make from my recordings and in so doing make it clear that if
the recording is good enough, then the band can use it for whatever purpose
wished. Several bands have issued material recorded by me.

 I never make copies other than with the permission of the leader.  If I am
asked for copies by members of the audience, I refer them to the bandleader.

I agree with Steve that it is a good way of spreading a band's music to a
wider audience.

Incidentally, I generally also have commercial recordings of bands that I
record

Norrie

 Thomson
Edinburgh