[Dixielandjazz] Ed Reed

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat May 8 04:15:43 PDT 2004

WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com writes:

> !  However, he's hung on to the only other original C-6er,
> drummer John Hall, the best since Krupa in my book.
>
> Bill Horton

Dear Bill:

With all due respect there have been several generations of incredible
drummers since Gene Krupa who was once one of my idols as well, also Buddy Rich, but
there have been many drummers since them that far excelled their ability and
expertise as drummers.

Yes, they had their day and were the top dogs (even thought they were not
considered real musicians) but other fabulously talented drummers have emerged
that most OKOmers never heard of that were more advanced and modern than our old
heroes.  Maybe many of the OKOM set just never bothered to listen to anybody
else after Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich or Dodds. etc.

If you limit your exposure to only those that you like from the past and
never embrace change or the future you will miss the second half of your lifetime
and many wonderful musical experiences.

Quite frankly there are many of us now 60 plus years old who never heard of
John Hall or the Chicago Six so have no way of comparing him with Gene Krupa or
Joe Schmoe.

I would also venture to say that most OKOM folks also never heard of Bobby
Colomby
from Blood Sweat and Tears Fame, and now a music A& R mogul with Columbia
records who was without a doubt one of the finest drummers who ever picked up a
pair of sticks.

And if any of you would ever attend the annual National Association of Music
Merchants conventions you would see drummers that would make you forget all
drummers you have ever met or heard in your life.  And there are youngsters that
are frightening to old world drummers who think they have it all together.

How many drummers do you folks know who can actually turn the beat around and
keep the band on the one,   I have three of them in my band that do it very
well and we often keep three different rhythm patterns going at the same time
in the same song.

It is called IMPROVISATION and what Jazz is all about and always has been
about.

Just like Burger King Have it your way.   Gene had it his way and Buddy had
it his way and that was fine but in today's world we have it  not only their
way but also our way.

Cheers,

Tom ever evolving Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
Never play it the same way twice, if you do you are no longer creative.