[Dixielandjazz] Re: Edison Jazz Party

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri May 7 17:46:26 PDT 2004

> Bill Haesler wrote: (About The Edison NJ Jazz Party)
>
> Dear Nancy,
> Boy! What a line-up for a jazz party.
> I assume that there will be no jazz music to be found in New York next
> weekend.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill & List mates:

Bill is only kidding. There will be plenty of Jazz in NYC next weekend. Many of the New
Yorkers are gigging at the jazz party by working around and in-between their regular NYC
gigs. Edison NJ is only 45 minutes south of the center of NYC and I think there is only
one, (or maybe two) venue. As a "Jazz Party" it is a limited audience gig of 250 people
maximum. And they are paying $395 each to see/hear 23 hours of music. Much more than the
usual $50 all events badge fee at a typical USA OKOM festival. Hotel is extra, but a
bargain at $79 per night.

It is different from typical OKOM festival thinking, e.g. lots of simultaneous
performances which dilutes the talent pool and goes after large audiences that pay
relatively little for the music. This "party" goes after less people, who are willing to,
and do, spend more. For separate performances of a few excellent musicians each time.
Say, charge what the music is worth, using only the top musicians? Now there's a novel
concept.

Even so, $395 is still a bargain to hear this kind of talent and it includes 2 buffets
dinners and 2 buffet brunches.

Music times are

Friday:      6 PM to 1 AM
Saturday 10 AM to 4 PM and 6 PM to 1 AM.
Sunday   10 AM to 5 PM

Hotel is extra, but a bargain at $79 per night.

Additionally, there is a lot more OKOM talent in the NYC area gigging all over the place.
Including, but not limited to; The Bearcats Jazz Band, The Gotham Jazzmen, Stan Rubin's
Tigertown Jazz Group, Red Onion Jazz Band, Smith Street Society Jazz Band, and if they
are in town currently, Cynthia Sayer, Vince Giordano, Dan Levinson. Ed Polcer, Orange
Kellin, The other Vaches, plus a whole bunch of journeymen musos playing "Mother's Day
Dixieland" at a broad variety of venues throughout the area.

Perhaps this suggests that the Jazz Festival may be changing. Like various JVC's, or
Berk's we might go to normal club or restaurant venues, fold up the tents etc., and
charge what the music is worth?  Hint: If we have a festival for $50 all events badges
and nobody attends, the problem is probably the fact that the music is not worth even
that pittance. (All other things being equal, no 9/11 or conflict scheduling etc. Supply
and Demand still rules and quality means more than quantity.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS, If "Mom" doesn't like jazz, take somebody else's Mom. ;-) VBG