[Dixielandjazz] The Words vs. The Music

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri May 7 14:02:50 PDT 2004

barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> In Strauss's "Capriccio," the Countess must choose between two lovers,
> one representing words and the other music. She finds the choice
> impossible and, in pop as well as in opera, that's ultimately true. Yet
> for me, in all song, it's ultimately the music that counts. Music's
> emotions may be directed and focused by words, but it's the musical
> emotions that dig down deep. Even in such a seemingly word-driven genre
> as rap.

Music is the International Language,  the words especially of American and
British music are lost on millions of non English speaking people, however they
still enjoy the music and the beat.

Melody and rhythm cross all language boundaries and need littel if no
explanation especially if it swings and your feet and hands start to move and tap out
the rhythms.

I surprisinglyh find myself these days listenting to many oldies pop songs
from the 60's and for the first time I am actually hearing and following the
lyrics of many songs that I played hundreds of times.   I do recall humming along
the lyrics while playing them back then, but nevber really paid much
attention to what they were saying.  Just did not seem relevant at the time, they were
the hits and we played them to work.

Das da way I hears em.!

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
But then again I'm not a real musician, just a drummer.