[Dixielandjazz] Old Fashioned Love

Dick Sleeman d.sleeman at hccnet.nl
Sun May 2 01:27:40 PDT 2004

Hi Bill, you wrote:

> Dear friends,
> I had a good 'lyrics' site of 1920s-30s songs in my 'Favourites' file, but
> lost it when my system went down a few months back.
> Now looking for it, without luck.
> Mates of mine, Carol Ralph and Geoff Holden, need the verse to James P
> Johnson's "Old Fashioned Love".

Here it is, with 2 different refrains:

"Old Fashioned Love", words & music by Cecil Mack & Jimmy Johnson (sic), copyright MCMXXIII by Jarms, Inc, N.Y.

Verse:

Most folks now'adays say old fashioned ways
Should give place to things that are new
But somehow I hold to things that are old
Perhaps it's an old fashioned view
I love my old books, the corners and nooks
Of my old home and the old friends
Old memories too, one love that is true
Lasting all thru' life until it ends:

Refrain:

I've got that old fashioned love in my heart
And there it shall always remain
My love is like the ivy vine
Clinging little closer all the time
Thru' the years, joy and tears, just the same
I've got that old fashioned faith in my heart
No changes can tear it apart
If all the dry land changed to sea
It would never make any change in me
I've got that old fashioned love in my heart.

I have also a set of slightly different lyrics to the refrain:

I've got that old fashioned love in my heart
And there it will always remain
I look back and I find we get closer all the time
Thru' the years and the tears, all the same
I've got that old fashioned faith in my heart
And no-one can tear it apart
There are changes in the sea, but there'll be no change in me
I've got that old fashioned love in my heart.

Regards,

Dick Sleeman, Lelystad, Holland.

<d.sleeman at hccnet.nl>