[Dixielandjazz] Thread" Historical OKOM Site-Song History

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 07:51:53 PST 2004

Tom Wiggins Wrote:

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:27:07 EST
From: TCASHWIGG at aol.com
To: julepjerk at surewest.net, dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Historical OKOM site - song history
M6

OK YA'LL

I am gong down to New Orleans for the French Quarter Festival in April,
anybody who would be interested in investing into this project contact me
off list,
I will check it out while I am there and if it looks like a worthwhile and
potentially profitable situation I might just go take that Redevelopment
money
and restore it and operate it for a few years.   Better odds than winning
the
lottery folks and just think of the fun you would have visiting and working
in
your own piece of History.

Time for us old timers with dreams of the good old days to get active and
bring it back, Put You Money Where yo Mouf is,  as dey say done deah in
Nawlins.
______________________________-
Norm Vickers adds:
The Jazz Society of Pensacola, 200 miles east of New Orleans, takes a bus
trip yearly to New Orleans French Quarter Jazz Festival.  Regret I wont be
on it this year, due to other committements.  When you see some of our
people, some will have identifiable logos on clothing etc., give them your
greetings.  We usually see a large contingent from the Potomac River Jazz
Club, among other Jazz Societies. We've sent a bus to New Orleans during the
jazz festivals since our club was established in 1983.  Originally it was to
the NO Jazz & Heritage Festival in the infield of the Fairgrounds Horse Race
Track.  In the early years it was fun, you could walk around and discover
new groups.  As it became more commercially successful, I read that NOJ&H
Festival is second only to Mardi Gras as a moneymaker for New Orleans, there
was more "heritage" and as they packed more people into the confined area,
there was less personal space.  George Wein, in his autobiography, says that
NOJ&H Festival is the most commercially successful jazz  festival in the
world.  About 8 yrs ago, our people rebelled and said they wanted to attend
the Fr. Quarter Festival. And we've done it yearly since then.

Regarding the NOJ&H Festival, it's like they say in New York, "  It's so
crowded that nobody hardly goes any more!"

The French Quarter Jazz Festival is fun because:

1.  It's free
2.  Music is in various venues along Bourbon and other streets as well as
along the waterfront
3.  Lots of other things to do in the Fr. Quarter-- good food etc.
4.  More New Orleans music, usually with N.O. musicians plus some other
invited guests--trombonist Bob Havens, drummer Hal Smith, for example,
played with Pete Fountain for the opening event last year.

Next to last item:  consider the Satchmo Summerfest usually held first
weekend in August.  It's hot and muggy that time of year, but seminars are
held in the air conditioned Old US Mint, now a jazz museum.  Speakers from
all over the world come to discuss the music.  I got to hobnob with John
Chilton, an early biographer of Armstrong, Bechet and others.  George
Avakian was there a couple of years talking about his recording experiences
with Armstrong.  The curator of the Armstrong museum spoke.
They also have music outside and an evening "strut" where one price gets you
in various nearby establishments which have musical entertainment.  French
Quarter Festivals, Inc. runs these events. Point your browser to their
website.

The Pensacola JazzFest, now in its 21st year, is held this coming weekend.
This year we have two New Orleans clarinetists- Evan Christopher and Tim
Laughlin, pianist Carl "Sonny" Leyland, drummer Hal Smith, bassist/ragtime
pianist Marty Eggers from  California, a guitar duo from Switzerland.  A
number of New Orleans people come to that because its fun, free, relaxed.
Usually these folks can remember when the NOJ&H Festival was more fun and
less commercially successful. For full line-up, see our website
www.jazzpensacola.com

Thanks.

Norman Vickers
Jazz Society of Pensacola,Inc.