[Dixielandjazz] What music to listen to

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Tue Mar 23 18:24:10 PST 2004

Phil,
I cannot disagree with what you say, however I still maintain that Colyer
did not  get tunes like "Over the
 Rainbow" , "Cheek to Cheek" "Poor Butterfly" etc into his repertoire by
listening only to Bunk, DD, Kid Thomas. Lewis, Handy  etc   Nor did he get
his beautiful ragtime arrangements from that source.         I reckon he
listened to many different styles (obviously excluding Parker, Gillespie and
the boppers).   One can hear it in his jazz, his blues and his skiffle
recordings.
Cheers,
Brian Towers
Hot Five Jazzmakers