[Dixielandjazz] Listening to the "moderns" - redux

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 20 11:53:05 PST 2004

A while back we had some differences of opinion on whether listening to
accomplished "modern jazz" players like Bird was helpful to OKOM
players, or wannabe OKOM players. Some like Allan Vache and I thought
that it was helpful. Others thought not.

Tony Scott offers this example. He says that not too long ago, New
Orleans clarinetist Evan Christopher made a pilgrimage to Rome to talk
with, and to take a few lessons from Mr Scott who is much further out
harmonically than Bird et al., ever were. That's a 10,000 mile round
trip from N.O. (though, I guess he may have been touring in Europe) to
gain some musical knowledge from an avant garde clarinet legend..

I do not know Evan, other than having heard him play, which was
wonderful, Traditional New Orleans OKOM Clarinet. Perhaps someone on the
list who knows him might ask him why he did it, and what, if anything,
he learned.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone