[Dixielandjazz] Riffs and Phrases

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Mar 18 00:35:12 PST 2004

Before one gets a chance to play a gig or sit in, one has to have the
basics down. And one may or may not have a chance to hear good players
regularly. One can buy CDs to play along with. Reading from a book is not
recommended--unless one doesn't have other resources available.

One thing a book could accomplish would be giving direction to the learner.
Here are the most important riffs, double/extended endings, eetc., and here
are records that illustrate them nicely. Etc.

Hey, we're always talking about ways to get new blood into our personnel
infrastructure. What's wrong with making their job easier? Why make 'em go
through the random process most of us had to?

--Sheik