[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Licks

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 19:18:08 PST 2004

> Allan Vache1 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)
>
> If you want to learn, you should listen to anyone who plays well, regardless of style. From Armstrong to Coltrane, from Bix to Brubeck and from Mugsy to Mulligan.

> They all have ideas and concepts that we can learn from. No one should be
> ignored, if they play well, and swing, you want to hear what they have to say.
> I know I do.

And the below two paragraphs quoted directly from Tim Laughlin's web site:

"With the beginning of the twenty-first century comes a core of musicians with fresh and imaginative ideas for this timeless American art form known as “jazz”. This is especially true in New Orleans and clarinetist Tim Laughlin is indeed one of these musicians."

"Tim Laughlin (pronounced Lock-lin) was born and raised in New Orleans, a city constantly re-inventing itself. His style and sound are uniquely his own, contrasting the classic style he grew up listening to and the contemporary influences of many."

I think if one "listens" to both Allan and Tim, one hears some of that "contemporary" influence, much to one's delight.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone