[Dixielandjazz] cancelled gig

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun Mar 7 19:13:28 PST 2004

My first response to Tom missed the point a bit, as I just glanced
through his post.  I see, after reading another response to his post,
that the gig was actually cancelled.  In that case, the normal thing is
that this sort of cancellation is written into the contract.  In a
benefit situation, you would have to know how the benefit was being run,
and if everyone was being paid.  If so, so should the performers.

In the case of a normal gig being cancelled due to rain, etc., we have
had organizations try to squirm out of paying the full amount as per the
contract.  "Oh, we'll get you back....for sure....in a few months"!  We
take the cash instead of the promise.  Bird in hand sort of comes to
mind here.  Put the shoe on the other foot and try to imagine what would
happen:  "oh, we missed this gig, but we'll come another night!"      :>

Jim