[Dixielandjazz] Ira Ironstrings - Alvino Rey

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 22:48:03 PST 2004

Steve B. brought up one of my very favorite bands of all time:

>Google search for "Ira Ironstrings" and you
>will find everything you want to know about him. (And Fred Guckenheimer)
>;-)

Close, Steve, but it was not Fred Guckenheimer. It's FRITZ Guckenheimer and
the Sauerkraut Band of San Francisco.  Fritz turns out to be none other than
Richard Gump, proprietor of one of the most famous gift shops in San
Francisco.  The band rehearsed in store, but as far as I know breakage of
the fine crystal was kept to a minimum.

If you are into humor in music at all you cannot overlook this seminal band
in the genre of German volksleider.  It brings a tear to the eye.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Eine zwei, Zoofa!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com