[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms at JVC Jazz Festival in NY Carnegie Hall? Nah!

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Jun 28 23:27:41 PDT 2004

Steve wrote:
Drove up to the Big Apple the other night to see Herbie Hancock, Wayne
Shorter, Dave Holland and Brian Blade perform at the JVC Jazz Festival,
in Carnegie Hall.  Each was neatly dressed in casual street clothes. Each
had different color pants, different color shirts, open neck etc. But nobody
in the
audience had any doubt they were a jazz band. ;-)

And, I'll add my two-bits:

Steve, ya can't compare the really famous to the normal person in the
street.  If you're Herbie, you can dress whatever way you wish.  That's one
of the goodies you get from fame.  If you're an everyday guy/gal band, then
a uniform might be just the thing to set you apart.

We have some great vests we use for private parties, weddings, etc. (Got 'em
free from a Whisky company, and removed their labels!!)  Each member wears a
suit, or sport coat, to his liking for big concerts, and clubs are do it as
you please.  I, personally, dress for a gig, not come along in the shirt &
pants I've been wearing all day.  Bet your famous guys mentioned above
weren't wearing wrinkled, dirty items!  The situation is "to get dressed"
for the gig.

Anyway, it's a personal thing for each band, and I don't believe anyone can
dictate how it "should be".

Jim