[Dixielandjazz] Different takes of 'Jazzbo Jenkins'

Robert Smith robert.smith at mitransport.no
Sun Jun 27 14:42:12 PDT 2004

Bill, I also have the two "takes" of 'Jazzbo Jenkins' matrices 1538-1 and 1538-2. The LP I have is Collector's Classics CC33, and aurally it would seem that the two tracks are dubbed from two different 78's, and these, presumably, had the two different matrix numbers engraved in the wax. I've compared these both aurally and visually (using Creative Wave Studio) and I agree with you - I can't find any musical difference between them. However there are differences in the sound, both in sound balance and amplitude variations. This leads me to suspect that they are two different recordings of the same performance, i.e. two different recording machines recording simultaneously. This was not uncommon in the days of acoustic recording, presumably to increase the chances of obtaining a good recording.

In fact, it has even been suggested that two such masters could be combined electronically to produce a genuine stereo recording! I don't know whether this has ever been seriously tried, but it would be great if ever anyone pulled it off.

Unfortunately I am unable to find out where in Chicago the recordings were made, so I cannot confirm that the studio did, in fact, use two recording machines.

The sleeve only lists the discographic information, and states that Anna Oliver was the vocalist on matrix 1537-2 -'What's The Use Of Lovin' - but doesn't mention who sings on 'Jazzbo Jenkins'. The sleeve also says that the recording session was in October, 1923.

Cheers

Bob Smith