[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazzbo Jenkins

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 27 11:11:38 PDT 2004

Dear Bill,
As you probably already know the song "Jazzbo Jenkins" (Shelton Brooks.
1923) was recorded for Paramount by Ollie Powers (real name Ollie Powell) in
Chicago, Sept 1923.
The label says 'Tenor with Orchestra'. Which we now know to be Bernie
Young's Creole Jazz Band, as they made several other sides that day.
As you will also be aware, this record is extremely rare and, so far as I
know, the Classics CD 604 featuring Jimmy Noone (although Noone is not
present on this tune) is its only CD reissue.
I have both takes (or so I thought*) in very rough condition on several
long-deleted LPs.
(*Repeated listening now convinces me that they are the same take, reissued
at slightly different speeds.)
By playing each, I have come up, as near as I can, with the following
lyrics:

Intro.
Claro-net. Slide trombone. Vio-line
and a saxophone.
[Before] the nightclub they call
that Jazzbo band.

Refrain (twice).
When Jazzbo Jenkins' (the other day)
jazz band played in a cabaret.
Jazzbo knows just what to play
To drive them blues away.

He makes a cripple-man [crutches] down.
He makes a rabbit hug a hungry hound.
That ain't all, the devil's liable,
To make a preacher, forget his little bible.

When he plays his raggy melody
They 'jis cain't refuse.
All the world starts prancin' in their praise
Old folks, forget their age
Jazzbo Jenkins' jazz band plays them blues.

Very kind regards,
Bill.