[Dixielandjazz] Re: Amateurs and Pros

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 15:03:16 PDT 2004

Well spoken Elazar:

This is precicely the attitude which made many of the greats GREAT, and is
missing in most of the musicians today who believe they are legends in their own
minds and too professional to do what you are doing.

This is also why most of them are sitting around waiting for the guy like you
to show up out front of their house inthe big Yellow gig bus to get them and
take em to the gig where they will give you exactly 2 hours of their time and
if your employers asks for an additional thirty minutes or an hour they either
demand to be paid more money, or take a taxi home and spend their earned gig
money to do so.

Yet these same musicians will put in 8 to 10 hours a day in another field of
work to make a living, yet call themselves Professional Musicians, and they
are usually the same guys who will show up and continually say when a tune is
called, no man I don't know that one, or no man I gotta play it in a different
key I don't do that key.  Hey man when do we eat ? are the drinks free?  do you
think we're gonna get any extra money from these folks they seem to be rich,
you shouldda got a lot more money for this gig than what we are getting paid.
Or even I bet you knocked down plenty of long green for this gig huh Elazar,
so we're all gonna get a bonus tonight huh?   What play another fifteen
minutes, are you nuts? I'm a Pro man and I'm outta here,   I have polayed with
EVERYBODY WHO IS ANYBODY,call me again sometime when you can afford  to pay a guy
lke me what he is worth.

My stock answer to these Pros is:  Well, you ain't playing with any of them
these days are you?  and you were available for this gig wern't you, and now
you can add my name to that long list of bandleaders who fired your ass and
won't ever call you to play again.  None of us can afford you. :))   But we are
getting gigs and you are not so what is wrong with this picture?  Perhaps I
could interest you in a DJ setup???   Guys like you give all musicians a bad rap
and folks don't want to hire Pros like you because you  want to charge a full
days pay for  10% of the day.   Perhaps you would be better off as a Brain
Surgeon or maybe a Plumber. :)

Keep swingin and having fun with it man.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins