[Dixielandjazz] Amateur bands

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 23 22:49:29 PDT 2004

Steve and others--
     I have a question relating what you wrote to John Farrell (below;
incidentally, i think he may have been pulling your leg a bit--or
whatever the British slang for that colloquialism might be, maybe
"bruising your sporran"--about you and Tom always preaching about
money).
     What is an amateur band to do?  What do amateur bands in your
area do if they aren't good enough to get gigs for money?  Do they
play for free at local pizza-parlors, parks, and so forth?  Should
they? How do they know when they're good enough? Where do they get
experience playing in public if they can't play for free, or for tips
or cheap wages?  (And an aside: what IS an 'amateur' band anyhow?
Same as a part-time band, or a festival band?  Is the 'amateur'
status defined solely by if they play for free, if they make money,
if they make good money, or if they play full-time?)
     I agree that good bands need to charge what the market will bear,
preferably even more if possible (in order to make adjustments for
unrealistically low markets).  But we've all been in
less-than-wonderful bands before, as less-than-wonderful players, and
there are still a lot of these bands all over the country.  Certainly
a novice band ain't gonna underbid a good, established band to open
for Billy Joel, but on the other hand a well-known band ain't gonna
play at the local Pizza Face for $10 either.  Seems like there should
be some kind of balance, some kind of understanding among bands.
     Maybe it also depends on the market, on where you are.  Here in
Austin, where we're striving to get OKOM before the public as much as
possible, and where it historically has not been prominent, amateur
bands are 80% of the existing bands (i.e., 4 out of 5 bands), and
they work wherever they can, because there are so few gigs for good
money.  In your area, i suppose it is entirely the opposite case.
     Anyway, i'm curious what you and others think on this matter.

     Dan

P. S. I think that the worth of OKOM has nothing to with how much
money the audience is willing to, or does, pay.