[Dixielandjazz] Georgia Sunset - Cake-Walk

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 21 11:23:12 PDT 2004

Dear friends,
As a postscript to this thread regarding the record of "Georgia Sunset -
Cake-Walk" (note hyphens) made by a 16-year-old Dan Barrett with Hal Smith's
Down Home Jazz Band, I did some research yesterday and found that it was
composed by Danish-born J Bodewalt  Lampe (known as 'JB' and author of
"Creole Belles") in 1908 and recorded by Arthur Pryor's Band for Victor on
22 Sept 1909 and again on 3 Sept 1924.
Although some of Pryor's recordings have appeared on LP and CD 'Ragtime'
compilations over the years, I have yet to find if this particular tune of
his has been reissued.
David A Jasen's fine source book (Recorded Ragtime 1897-1958. Shoe String
Press 1973) lists only the Pryor versions of "Georgia Sunset", as does
Rust's 'Jazz Records'. So the Hal Smith recording may be a historical
second.
Memo for John Farrell (who knows much about these things). Has "Georgia
Sunset - Cake-Walk" appeared as a piano roll?
Very kind regards,
Bill.