[Dixielandjazz] 4/4 Rhythm

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Sun Jun 20 19:41:18 PDT 2004

Interesting input from Steve on the 4 beats to the bar - slightly
tongue-in-cheek I suspect!
Another question - the New Orleans 4 beat sound of the 1920's had quite a
different sound and feel to it than the 4 beat sounds of the 1930/40's swing
era.  Is it because the New Orleanians played right up on top of the beat,
whereas the Swing era rhythm sections played ever-so-slightly behind the
beat?
Perhaps John Petters can enlighten us on this aspect?
Cheers,
Brian Towers