[Dixielandjazz] Sam Morgan band, 4/4, solos, etc.

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Jun 19 16:17:11 PDT 2004

Brian and all--

Many of you have heard more early jazz and pre-jazz recordings than I have,
I'm sure, but in my limited experience, the 4/4 of Sam Morgan's rhythm
section was the exception to the dominant 2/4 except for slow-tempo tunes.

Brian is right on with comments about the '40s revival bands of Bunk and
many others going with 4/4 string bass and drums, but folks I knew
perceived that as the opposite of a return to the norm. By that time
everyone had heard and was affected by the dominant 4/4/ of the swing era.
I was listening to and playing with a lot to the bands in New Orleans
during that period, and the feeling among the musicians, even those who
were active in the 20s, was overwhelmingly that playing in 2 was "old
timey," as was having a tuba or banjo in the rhythm section (the brilliant
Lawrence Marrero nothwistanding). In the 60s, Preservation Hall and the
city's institutionalization of all things old changed all that, but that's
another story.

There was even some gentle scorn for the West Coast revivalist bands and
others in the 4os who were consciously resurrecting old styles and
instrumentation or even crossing the boundaries into corn in the name of
havin' a good ol' time. (Outside of New Orleans, Bobby Hackett remarked,
"It's certainly funny to hear those youngsters trying to play like old
men.")

There was of course some intolerance in those views but it went both ways.
Many of the local and national fig-purists bemoaned the scarcity of
two-beat rhythm and "authentic" instrumentation and could barely tolerate
Dixieland. Aside: Ironically, the old 2-beat was wretchedly imitated by
drummer Phil Zito, who was abandoned by his sidemen when they formed the
Basin Street Six. Further ironically, the group clowned a lot and sometimes
played circus tempos, and new drummer Charlie Duke rushed the beat. But the
group swung its rear off.

To get back to the main question, I'd like to hear more about inroads of
4/4 in early jazz, i.e., before the revivals that were surely polluted,
enriched, or simply affected (depending on your point of view) by the pulse
of the swing years.

Charlie Suhor